Friday, January 13, 2012

Shemot 5772

When a new king arises in Egypt, he places himself in opposition to the Hebrews.  Numerous as they are, foreign as they may be, he assumes they’re a threat.  “And he said to his people, “Look, the Israelite people are much too numerous for us.  Let us deal shrewdly with them, so that they may not increase; otherwise in the event of war they may join our enemies in fighting against us and ruse from the ground” (Exodus 1:9-10).  His reaction to change, to difference is fear.
In this, Pharaoh is not alone.  Many of us react to the new with anxiety: “What did I do to bring this on?”  “What could go wrong?”  “What’s going to happen?”  “What will I lose?”  “Why are they out to get me?”
What if we asked a different set of questions:  “What do I know is true, what do I suspect is true, and what am I assuming is true about this change?”  “In addition to the way I understand what’s happening, what else might be true—what other reality exists?”  Is it possible, for example, that the growing Israelites could be allies or even friends?

No comments: